Tomato & Polenta Pieby fig + fauna farm on 06/19/12
At noon on any summer day, there's a certain silence that sweeps across our pastures. It's a livestock siesta and no better time to enjoy the peacefulness of the sun and swaying pines around us. Dane and I think of a savory snack to bring to the breeziest spot on the farm - under the shade of our oldest oak tree.
This season we've collected cherry tomatoes by the buckets - sauces, sun dried and salsa has been happening a lot in my kitchen, but there's nothing like the smell of roasting a tray of fresh picked tomatoes.
/// PHOTOS BY ROSE E MARTIN
This simple pie has a cheesy polenta base that feeds my love for the taste of southern grits. I top it with bright, tart roasted tomatoes - although a variety of garden vegetables could be roasted or sauteed for a satisfying topping.
TOMATO & POLENTA PIE
You will need:
- 9 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 - 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp herbs (basil, thyme, oregano), chopped
- evoo, drizzle
- sea salt/pepper, sprinkled
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Combine all ingredients (except polenta) and spread out on a large baking tray. Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until lightly carmalized and fragrant. Prepare polenta while tomatoes roast in the oven.
The polenta base
- 3 cups dry polenta/corn grits
- 3 tbsp butter
- 6 cups water
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan or Fontina Cheese
2. In a medium saucepan, bring water and sea salt to a boil. Add polenta to the water one cup at a time, stirring frequently. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring the mixture with a long handled spoon, to prevent it from clumping.When polenta is thick, stir in butter and cheese.
3. Spoon polenta into a greased 9" pie pan and smooth out. Top with the roasted tomato mixture and bake in oven at 350 degrees for five minutes.